Go ahead. Call me stupid. Tornado's don't happen *that* often. While this is true, when I was in fourth grade, my dad and I were at Lake Reba in Richmond. However, this wasn't the nice new fancy Lake Reba. No. This was a dried lake bed, 2 softball fields, and a porta potty. Classy, eh? One afternoon as I sit in the dugout while my dad played ball with his work league... it was sunny. Next thing you know, it was storming...bad. Suddenly..sun. Then...storms. And again.... sun... All in a matter of minutes. It was very strange. But the strange part to a 4th grader was looking across the field and seeing a barn suddenly become pieces of wood flying in the air. "huh?" I'm sure was the thought in my head. I look around and a few others have noticed this bizarre event.... and then I hear "TORNADO!! RUN!!" Wait. What? And run WHERE? Thanks to the rain, the mud was too thick for me to run/walk in. So at this point my dad (wearing cleats..thank god) picks me up. Everyone is scattering trying to find somewhere to go. But there is nowhere to go. I mean, unless you wanna risk the porta potty.... So, even though the rule is to never get in a vehicle.. that's exactly what we did...and took off in the opposite direction until we were safe. We drove around that night (long after the storm and tornados had passed) and checked out the damage. I was still terrified. And as much as I love a good rain (nothing better for insomnia than the sound of a rainstorm!) and am not too terrified of thunderstorms.. if I see the words "tornado" in regards to weather, I am, for good reasons (in my opinion, at least) terrified.

No comments:
Post a Comment