Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I can't believe that it's Thanksgiving.. again... ALREADY.  Didn't we just put away all the clean dishes and pots and pans from last year, like.... last week????  Where has 2012 gone?

This is my first official holiday in Australia without homesickness.  I guess having my career in the direction I've always wanted, a relationships I've always prayed for, friends surrounding me (near and far), and my family both home and my unofficial in-laws who have never once made me feel anything less than family by blood all really help.  It's really strange to look back on times in my life where I was unhappy and feel that those unhappy feelings were what I was stuck with for the rest of my life, and not having the ability to see the bigger picture when things were going bad... to not think God was out to get me, but to just have trust and faith that he was pulling me out of horrible situations and delivering me into the life I now have. 
 
So, in no order, I will list the things I am thankful for!
 
*  My parents, who have always supported me and been there for me when the things they knew would fail or fall apart did, all while supporting me during through the decisions I made, even when they were bad decisions.  I know that as a parent you want to protect your kid from everything, and my parents were fantastic parents who protected me, but allowed me as an adult to have wings.... and a safety net.  Perhaps that is why I was more willing to take big chances over the years?  Anyways, my dad is my step dad and the greatest man I could have ever hoped to have as a father figure.  He IS my dad, despite DNA. 
 
*  My boyfriend.  I am really blessed that we started as friends and our friendship grew and blossomed way before any other feelings did.  It is really nice to be in a relationship with someone who you feel you can confide anything in, and still cut up and be a big kid.  Some days it's like having your BEST friend as a roomate as an adult.  Cut up, joke around, pull pranks, play playstation, cut up, talk about the "good ole days"... and then two seconds later have the embrace of a loving couple and the support, love, and affection that he gives me.  It's really having the best of both worlds.  I'm so happy that as I started to fall for him that he in turn was falling as well, and that we fell together.  I am happy for the support he has given me as I have moved to another world and had to relearn everything that I had learned in my first 30 years of life.  I am happy that he is always encouraging and tolerates my bullshit at times.  I am thankful that when life goes bad, he is always by my side, and when needed, he steps forward to take the hits for me.  I can never put into words what he means to me.  Yes, we've had our bad times... but we are human and that's part of life.
 
*  My job.  I love my job and am so thankful to be a the highest point in my career and in a position I have always dreamed.  I was given a rare chance.... a part time position to a nurse with NO experience with the Australia healthcare system... to full time... to full time with sponsorship... now to Nurse Coordinator and Practice Manager.  I do not think the full reality has hit me.  I approved the final draft of my business cards today.  Felt soooo weird to see those.   I am busy as hell, and tired, but sooo grateful for the opportunity.  It's just crazy to think about it, and I guess because there wasn't any training period or much warning I was getting the promotion, I think that's why it still doesn't feel real.  The paychecks are nice though!! 
 
* Friends.  If there is anything this move has done, it has proven to me who my true friends are.  I have gotten closer with some people and farther away from some.  But I no longer will allow myself to force a friendship.  It doesn't mean that I don't love those friends, it just means I don't want to be the only one working for it.  I have met some great friends here and am sooo thankful for those friends here.  Recently I have become pretty close to my friend Sasha.  She and her hubby moved here from Florida in June, and we started talking on FB prior to that.  We just clicked and hit it off right away.  We communicate quite a bit and I always enjoy our time together..which occurs on a regular basis.  The hard part about living abroad is when a friend is in need.  However, even if I can't physically be there, I do my best to make sure I am there as much as I can be. 
 
*  God.  I am thankful to God for all the above, as well as for the strength to fight a very personal battle.  A battle I also must thank my friends and family for their support.
 
* Modern technology.  I can't imagine moving to the other side of the world without the ability to communicate with my friends and family.  Well, lets be honest, I wouldn't be here without it as I probably never would have met Wayne, and certainly the back story to how I met Wayne would have never happened either. 
 
And lastly, I am thankful for the Thanksgiving weekend on tap!! Tonight was wings at a restaurant with a group of Americans.  Tomorrow is cooking with the future mom in law, in the afternoon I will be at the spa for a 90 minute session, dinner with the future in laws and boy, then Saturday is our BIG thanksgiving dinner with over 30 people!!  We went shopping on Sunday... TWO big turkeys, etc.  I have always LOVED Thanksgiving, and I am looking forward to this year more than I can ever remember a prior thanksgiving!! So much to be thankful for.
 
On that note, I am thankful for our comfy bed, and comfy pillow... as I am headed to bed. 
 
"count your blessings name them one by one"
 


No comments:

Post a Comment