Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Expat Challenge; Day Four

Today's expat challenge is to look at the 5th post you ever wrote on this blog. In hindsight, what do you think about your frame of mind and your style of writing.

My fifth entry wasn't a lengthy one, shocking as it may be. Click here to read the entry.  I had gotten off work, and had apparently had a crappy night for no reason apparently...but working with the public this happens... a lot...... especially in health care AND on night shift. Ya know the "you aren't yourself when you're hungry" Snickers commercial? Similar applies to night shift. You live in a state of exhaustion, even when you're certain you've had enough sleep.   But, I had good news that trumped the mood! 

I recall that raise very well. I remember feeling so shocked at the amount. My hospital had been on major cuts, and I had heard a few people mention their raises to others. I personally have never liked to discuss my salary with others, esp coworkers. That's a dangerous area. But, I had over heard a few people had gotten around 0.5-1.5%. So I was sure that I wasn't getting much. I walked in for my review with very little expectations, and walked out with a 4.5% raise. Of course, I played it cool and when asked by coworkers, "what did you get?" I made a joke that I was enrolled in the jelly of the month club (Christmas Vacation reference) and really was excited.....and casually changed the subject, while my coworkers giggled and never even realised what just happened. lol

So to answer my frame of mind. Recovering financially after my divorce was a difficult recovery. And not just the divorce, the one sided "help me pay my shit off" marriage (that I was so blind and stupid throughout). I had gotten a really nice raise (especially in comparison to others as well as my expectations). But the most important thing at that moment for me was the fact I would be off at Christmas and New Years when Wayne was coming to America for the holidays. You have a better chance of hitting the lottery than being off both of those holidays (both the day of AND the eve's) working in a large hospital. And for me, at that moment, I HAD hit the lottery.

My style of writing? Well, this entry was September 16, 2010. Or 16 September 2010 if you prefer. So 3 years and almost five months ago. My writing hasn't really changed much. I still use a LOT of periods........ as in, too many...... see what I mean? I still capitalise words when they are emphasised. (see last line of above paragraph). Sometimes I may bold them or put them in italics, but depends on my mood.  Usually I feel capitalised should suffice.  But then, and now, I blog what's on my mind, and in my heart. Even if it's random, and may be pointless to others. For me, each entry has some sort of significance. Either documenting a time, a place, an event, a feeling. Even if the feeling is boredom and blogging because I got damn tired of scrolling on FB and all the blogs I follow haven't had an updated entry. My style is honesty, rambling, and a bit of humor, even though a lot of times it's not intentional, sarcasm strikes and readers have a laugh. I may not always be able to tell people how I feel in person, and I wear a mask at work... the one over my face where you can tell I am asking "are you REALLY serious?". But here in my blog, honesty is served up fresh with every blog. Well, most blogs. With a side of sarcasm, and for dessert? A big scoop of awesome. HAHA.

Ok, so there's 4 of 4 in the books. I'm impressed.

7 comments:

  1. Aha! Another girl with a penchant for punctuation! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Sometimes that many periods...... Totally necessary! Hahaha

      Delete
  2. It's so interesting to reflect back and to think of how much our lives have changed! Are you currently working as a nurse in Australia? If so, just wondering if you have found any major differences between your roles/duties in Australia vs the US. I've heard that at least between Australia and Canada, the roles and responsibilities are fairly different. Since my best friend is a nurse (in Canada), I'm a speech pathologist, and my husband is a doctor, I find myself curious about these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I am! Message me on Facebook and I'll go into it. Far too complex to go into here lol :)

      Delete
  3. It's funny that it seems like a lot of us started our blogs around the same time- mine was about 4 years ago... so much has changed and so much hasn't! I like your sarcasm and humor... and the abundance of periods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellipses girl here, too. And dashes. Always with the dashes. I think, however you can get across the tone you're going for is perfect punctuation. (I had such a hard time writing that last sentence without dashes!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. I love your comparison to working a night shift to that snicker commercial "You just aren't yourself." Lol. A normal sleep cycle is so important for peoples moods. Night shifts can be so hard on people.

    Also love the Christmas vacation reference!

    ReplyDelete